Waking up to the sunshine on Sunday and a day of little plans ahead (delightful!), we decided to get creative in the kitchen.
After scrolling through a few ideas online and flipping through well-thumbed cookery books, we settled on an inventive way to have eggs - swapping the somewhat tiresome companion of toasted muffins for home-made and healthy quinoa cakes.
Here's how we made them...
Ingredients, makes 3-4 cakes:
1 cup of cooked quinoa
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 egg whites
1 onion (make sure it's finely chopped)
A good handful of mature cheddar
Salt and pepper
Spinach, wilted (or other leaves if you prefer)
3 poached eggs
1. Mix together the quinoa, egg yolks and whites, onion, cheese, salt and pepper.
2. Add in the bread crumbs and leave to stand for two minutes.
3. Pat mixture into 3-4 rounds, squashing them together with your hands.
4. Fry each cake in a large pan for about 7-10 minutes either side.
5. Top each cake with the leaves of your choice and a drippy poached egg.