Wednesday 17 November 2010

Upcycling


The concept of upcycling, for me, is really exciting.

It's so special to reinvent old furniture, or beautiful old textiles into something truly stunning (probably while I love quilting) and, especially in the current climate, it really reinforcing the make do and mend mentality.

Growing up, my father was forever buying what seemed to be junk, stripping it back, doing it up, adding his own touches and creating something special. I remember my old piano stool, a piece of junk, that my father transformed into something beautiful by upholstering it with a hand embroidered panel. It's still in my mum's house, minus the piano.

There are some wonderful designers out there, reinventing old pieces and here are a few pieces from one of my favourites, Zoe Murphy.


No comments: