Monday 18 August 2008

Contemporary Applied Arts


I don't often venture into central London these days, preferring the safety of home, I rarely leave Dartmouth Park.

However, on Friday I found myself in town lunching with old colleagues, and I usually don't leave without a quick trip to Contemporary Applied Arts - a one stop shop for the most beautiful and inspiring in British Craft, a mix of lovely jewellery (Sarah King's work, pictured), glassware (my favourites by Michael Ruh) and a lovely light exhibition space.

Current exhibition is Kyffin: A Celebration is currently on, but only until 30th August. An exploration of the best in British hand bookbinding and a tribute to Wales' most distinguished artist, Sir Kyffin Williams who sadly died in 2006. Bookbinders from around the country have contributed. Really stunning collection of hand bookbinding, promoting the best of British in this field and truly inspiring.

I've always had a passion for hand bookbinding, although never done it myself. Perhaps after this semesters Silversmithing course I may just give it a go...

No comments: