We’re in full festive mode here at Roost HQ: anticipating the feasts that the next few days will bring, like turkey and all the trimmings, and plenty of sweet treats!
One of our favourite sweet treats is a Christmassy variation of the classic Rocky Road (it’s actually Nigella Lawson’s own recipe). We’ve tried and tested it, and it’s simply divine! The recipe uses amaretti biscuits rather than digestives, which gives it a bit of a twist, and it’s easy enough to swap the nuts (or other ingredients) if you prefer.
Here’s how to make it:
• 250g/9oz dark chocolate, chopped
• 150g/5oz milk chocolate, chopped
• 175g/6oz butter, softened, plus a little extra for greasing
• 4 tbsp golden syrup
• 200g/7oz amaretti biscuits
• 150g/5oz Brazil nuts
• 150g/5oz red glacé cherries
• 125g/4oz mini marshmallows
• 1 tbsp icing sugar
1. Put the dark and milk chocolate pieces, butter and golden syrup into a heat-proof dish, melt and combine over a low heat.
2. Using a freezer bag, smash up the amaretti biscuits into crumbs of various sizes.
3. Do the same with the Brazil nuts in another bag.
4. Take the pan of melted chocolate mixture off the heat and add the crushed biscuits and nuts.
5. Add the glacé cherries and mini marshmallows, then coat all the ingredients carefully with the chocolate mixture.
6. Grease a suitably sized baking tray and pour the mixture into it. Even out the surface as much as possible.
7. Refrigerate for two hours or until firm enough to cut. Dust with icing sugar and serve.
Have a wonderful Christmas, all!
Recipe from Nigella Lawson's book Feast, published by Chatto & Windus.